Sunday, November 25, 2007

At the home front...

Now I just don't bitch about the losers in Washington, here in Gilbert we have our small town/big town problems too. Right now it's a debate over who has control over your property.

We have businesses who put fliers on your house door. They hire people to walk around putting this junk on your doorknob. in your screen, on your garage, wherever. Some people, myself included, don't want this litter, and consider it trespassing. Others want these fliers. Businesses whine that this is a major source of their advertising and they'll go out of business without it.

The town council is debating the whole thing.

I say that my property starts at my property line, and the only ones that should be on it are invited guests, whether friends or businesses that are invited BY ME to be on it or emergency/utility personnel. I don't think people have a right to cut across my yard and put junk on my door. If they hurt themselves, I'll be responsible. The fliers come off and go scattering across the neighborhood. and dammit, I bought my house and if I don't want this crap, I shouldn't have people on my property leaving it.

The town council and chamber of commerce say "but businesses need it". Who gives a crap, other businesses take out ads or find other ways to advertise, they're just too damn cheap to do that, they'd rather pay someone 5 bucks and hour to leave their litter. Since when does their profit override my rights to have who I damn please and NOT have who I damn please on my property.

Even in smaller political ecosystems I guess lobbyists (Joe Blows Landscaping) have more rights than a citizen. And I guess that politicians are politicians whether it's Bush protecting his buddies at the phone companies, or a town council protecting Joe's right to leave crap on my door.

The council is debating the whole thing. We'll see.

No comments: